Sunday, December 12, 2010

Yarn Snowballs - Tutorial

Crafts keep me up at night. I lay in bed and occasionally I come up with a good idea. This may be one of them - yarn snowballs. 
You will need:
  • Cotton yarn, I tried acrylic but they didn't get hard enough
  • Balloons, I used the smallest ones I could find
  • Vaseline
  • Water
  • Elmer's Glue
  • Glitter
  • Clothes hanger
  • Needle and thread
  • Spray acrylic
  • Bag
Get started:
Step 1: Blow up balloons. I put too much air in some of mine and the end result is a yarn ball that looks like a balloon.

Step 2: Cover balloon in a thin layer of Vaseline. This isn't as messy as I thought it would be and my Little Man was able to help out with this step.

Step 3: Soak yarn in a water and glue mixture. I did 75% glue / 25% water. I used about 6 yards for one small balloon but think if I make these again I will try about 9 to 10 yards. 

Step 4: After you have the balloon covered with yarn, run some thread through the tied off portion and hang it on a clothes hanger to dry. It took mine about 12 hours to completely dry.


Step 5: Once balloon is dry, pop balloon and gingerly pull it out. I then threaded a piece of the matching yarn through the ball and sprayed it with some clear spray acrylic. This really smells so please do it outside.

Step 6: Place yarn ball in bag and go crazy with the glitter.

Step 7: Pull yarn ball out and admire your handy work. Hang in desired spot. They will still stink but by this time you might be enjoying that part.


I hung mine on my dining room light fixture. If I was better at making ribbon bows I would have attached them that way.

Here is my original acrylic yarn test. Too soft, but looks nice here on this light fixture. 

9 comments:

Jayna said... Reply to comment

so cute!

The sconce ball reminds me of a fire hazard...just sayin. Shea leans over my shoulder and says, "that's nice!" I love the white with what looks like glitter. I love glitter.

Jayna said... Reply to comment

Sorry, the fire hazard comment is a little brash...I just don't want your cute little house burning down:)

Sarah said... Reply to comment

I thought about the whole fire hazard bit and decided to keep them up there since those lights are only on for about 3 minutes each day. You are too funny.

Heather said... Reply to comment

Beautiful!!! Great idea :)

AmyH said... Reply to comment

So neat!! Thanks for auditioning!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I've made smaller versions of theses for the Christmas tree and even a larger one as an Easter Basket but I REALLY like them hanging off the light ... great idea

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said... Reply to comment

Sarah,
These make perfect snowballs! Cute idea!
Happy crafting!
Linda
American Crafter Judge

The Cabby Crafter said... Reply to comment

What a nice tutorial! I got some extra cotton yarn, all I have to do is get me some balloons. thanks!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said... Reply to comment

Super cute! Stopping by to say hi from the American Crafter Auditions! AND I am a new follower =)!
Michelle
www.landofthemisfittoyz.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...