Thursday, July 14, 2011

Our Potato Project

Have you seen the video going around that shows a little girl talking about how she couldn't get a conventionally grown potato to grow and even the organic one was kinda puny? It isn't until she picks one up at a certified organic market that they get a lush potato plant.

This seems like a simple project for my 3.5 year old and we started it today. I haven't been to a farmers market recently but I did manage to pick up an organic sweet potato and a conventional one at our local grocery store.

I am not going to tell you which one is the organic potato, but I won't stop you from guessing. They sat in my car for an embarrassing long time so hopefully that didn't ruin them.

Here is the original video. Clearly she has been coached but regardless of the message's delivery I am excited to see if we get the same results.



If you want some additional reading check out: 
Residue Levels of Chlorpropham in Individual Tubers and Composite Samples of Postharvest-Treated Potatoes

 Pesticide Information Project of Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University

EPA's info on Chlorpropham

I am going to try and post a picture once a week to track our potato growing progress. Has anyone else tried to recreate the video?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...